From: Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: schism@×××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc-0.5.1 arrived in the tree
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 00:27:27
1 On Mittwoch, 14. Oktober 2009, schism@×××××××××.org wrote:
2 >
3 > Oh, you mean the docs that only cover the "old" configuration mechanism
4 > and are only installed with USE=oldnet? How silly to think that changes
5 > that are likely to take testers' machines offline should be documented,
6 > if nothing else with, say, 'ewarn "USE=-oldnet changes the network
7 > configuration syntax, check it before rebooting"'. I wasn't bitten
8 > (because I am more cautious than that), but I WAS annoyed that a package
9 > was sent out to be tested with zero instructions on the drastic changes
10 > it made.
11
12 So this is my last mail to this topic.
13
14 At least /etc/conf.d/network does contain documentation. Or is a requirement
15 of documentation that it is not inside config files?
16
17 First: Default enabled use-flags may be enabled for a reason. One should think
18 before overriding it.
19 Another thing: There was no message that one should switch to new scripts NOW.
20 Old scripts will still be supported some time. I also keep using the old ones
21 for now.
22 As openrc-0.5.1 did work in the tests for me and some other people and no
23 breakage was expected I did commit it.
24 If you got a bug you should report it on bugzilla.
25
26 And no, package.mask does not help, as then the bug would show later when
27 unmasking.
28
29 The openrc ebuild does print a warning if old net.* init-scripts are enabled
30 in some runlevels. See this code:
33 if ! use oldnet; then
34 local f= links=$(find "${ROOT}"/etc/runlevels/ -name "net.*")
35 if [[ "${links}" != "" ]] ; then
36 ewarn "You have disabled installation of old-style network
37 scripts"
38 ewarn "but they are still enabled in some runlevels:"
39 for f in $links; do
40 ewarn "\t$f"
41 done
42 ewarn "You should migrate the settings"
43 ewarn "from /etc/conf.d/net to /etc/conf.d/network"
44 ewarn "and clean runlevels from /etc/init.d/net.* and"
45 ewarn "instead add /etc/init.d/network"
46 fi
47 fi
48
49 So if you disabled "oldnet" you definitely got the message above.
50 Yes, there is no big fat warning that stuff may break, but you still can roll
51 back to the config you had before.
52 But, as new network script is installed regardless of oldnet setting, the
53 warning must be printed always to be useful.
54
55 Did you have a look at demerge. That is a software that makes a snapshot of
56 which packages are installed with exact use-flag config and can rollback to
57 that snapshot.
58
59 The use-flag "oldnet" itself is described like this:
60 Install the old type of network init-scripts with a symlink net.IFACE for each
61 interface
62
63 Matthias