From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should mirror restriction imply bindist restriction?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:23:08
1 So years ago, we had GRP (the Gentoo Reference Platform.) My understanding
2 of USE=bindist was that when building packages whose binaries were illegal
3 to distribute, the build system would take some action. For instance, for a
4 while we were not allowed to brand a source build of firefox as firefox, so
5 debian made iceweasel and we ourselves add USE=bindist so we could build
6 custom builds and replacing the branding.
7
8 I'm not sure RESTRICT=bindist actually does anything. My guess is that the
9 intention of the restriction is to warn users that when building binaries
10 packages of a given package, there are 'legal issues' with such
11 distribution. That being said, as some have noted in the thread, the legal
12 issues are diverse and are unlikely to be covered in one flag.
13
14 -A