From: Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: devmanual moved to github
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 06:32:22
1 On Mon, 13 May 2013 00:24:09 +0200
2 Alexander Berntsen <alexander@××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > On 13/05/13 00:21, Peter Stuge wrote:
5 > > There is no problem if github is only used for hosting, but if it
6 > > is the primary point of contact, or if pull requests are accepted,
7 > > then github is also writing to repositories, and merge commits are
8 > > enforced for all external contributions. That does not scale at
9 > > all.
10 >
11 > Users can still send patches via email even if the project is hosted
12 > on GitHub. And for the record I have not had problems with messy
13 > merges when commiting pull requests.
14
15 Once I was asked if I could look into a package. I spent a day writing
16 a couple of ebuilds including fixing the build system of the target
17 package. When I presented a first git-format-patch I was ask to do a
18 github pull request instead. So I asked why not git-am? The answer was
19 - don't be a *beep*. As a result the package never got fixed and I
20 outright ignore any repo not hosted on Gentoo infra.