From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Lazy" use flags?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 13:00:04
1 On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 02/10/2016 06:51 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Ditto for stuff like 32-bit support for half the libraries on your
6 >> system when you're using something like wine. Just don't set the
7 >> flag except explicitly if you actually need it somewhere, and it
8 >> will get pulled in where it is needed, and go away when it is no
9 >> longer needed.
12 > re multilib, under what configuration does abi_x86_32 get set on its
13 > own? With a blank ABI_X86 variable in make.conf? Every 32-bit package
14 > I've ever pulled in has needed that flag set, and I've had to manually
15 > set it until blockers are resolved. I've not set -abi_x86_32 globally
16 > or anything like that.
17
18 We're talking about a proposed portage feature which hasn't been
19 written yet. None of the behavior described in this thread happens
20 today. Right now all those abi_x86_32 flags are set explicitly, which
21 is why my package.use file is about 10x larger than it used to be.
22 I'm contemplating splitting out the 32-bit stuff into a separate file
23 and just nuking it every 6-months and allowing portage to re-create it
24 to try to keep it somewhat manageable.
25
26 And that is the inspiration for this. The current design mixes true
27 user preferences with stuff added by auto-unmask needed just to
28 fulfill dependencies. Users should be easily able to prioritize the
29 one above the other. Indeed, maybe I have a few 32-bit library
30 preferences which are explicit and now if I go to nuke then every six
31 months I have to keep track of which ones are which.
32
33 With the proposed lazy use flags then for the most part 32-bit support
34 would be automagic for most users.
37 Rich