From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item: Portage Dynamic Deps
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 08:24:57
1 On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 23:01:08 -0800
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Please review.
5 >
6 > Title: Portage Dynamic Deps
7 > Author: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
8 > Posted: 2018-01-28
9 > Revision: 1
10 > News-Item-Format: 2.0
11 > Display-If-Installed: <sys-apps/portage-2.3.20
12 >
13 > Beginning with Portage 2.3.20, the previous default --dynamic-deps=y
14 > setting has changed to --dynamic-deps=n. Due to this change, some
15 > users may experience emerge dependency calculation failures triggered
16 > by installed packages that have outdated dependencies. In order to
17 > avoid problems of this nature, use the emerge --changed-deps=y option
18 > with your next deep @world update.
19
20 What's the rationale behind this ?
21
22 What I mean is: while '--dynamic-deps=n --changed-deps=n' is the
23 technically correct behavior, this just seems like throwing unbearable
24 dep calculation failure messages at users' faces while we could default
25 to '--dynamic-deps=n --changed-deps=y' and get the already
26 policy-mandated behavior of 'force a rebuild when you change deps'.