From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why is the security team running around p.masking packages
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 18:18:10
1 On 07/05/2016 09:07 AM, james wrote:
2 > On 07/05/2016 06:25 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> The subject of this particular mailing list post is a little alarming
6 >>> and
7 >>> over reactive. We are not running around p.masking everyone's
8 >>> packages, but
9 >>> issues that have been outstanding for years often result in such
10 >>> courses of
11 >>> action. I personally told Anthony I should have requested his
12 >>> assistance
13 >>> initially on the matter, and I do apologize for that. He is an active
14 >>> developer who would respond in a timely manner. So once again, I do
15 >>> apologize.
16 >>
17 >> Thanks, and my intent wasn't to suggest that I thought there was any
18 >> kind of a trend here. I just wanted to agree that this shouldn't be
19 >> how it happens. It sounds like we're already on the same page, which
20 >> isn't surprising since this was the first complaint I've heard in a
21 >> while.
22 >>
23 >>> Finally, that does not dissolve the developer of providing usable,
24 >>> substantiated, and verifiable information regarding the vulnerabilities.
25 >>> The idea that a developer gets to choose whether or not they do so
26 >>> should
27 >>> not be considered.
28 >>
29 >> Also agree. I think we need to have a reasonable security policy, but
30 >> clearly there can't be unresolved questions about whether a particular
31 >> package-version is vulnerable or not. If we don't get a question like
32 >> that resolved in a timely manner then the version should be masked.
33 >> Users can then make an informed decision as to whether they want to
34 >> take the risk in unmasking it.
35 >>
36 >> Our security policies are a tree-wide QA commitment that our users
37 >> rely on. We shouldn't advertise a security policy that we aren't
38 >> willing to enforce.
39 >
40 > As an old C hack, and user of gentoo for over a decade, I understand the
41 > positions being articulated herein. However, I think there is a
42 > fundamental perspective that is missing, so I shall attempt to
43 > illuminate that perspective. 'C' is still a magical and most important
44 > language. It is the transitive language between large, complicated
45 > systems, and hardware. Like it or not, without hardware, there are no
46 > systems.
47 >
48 > There are many new and modern languages with wonderful features. I get
49 > that, and appreciated that they are needed and desired. But modern
50 > (security and usefulness) metrics are being applied to old codes that
51 > are useful for a variety of reasons, beyond compiling them and using them.
52 >
53 > There is an intersection between minimal unix (minimal gentoo in our
54 > case) and embedded systems. Docker, many would cite as the leader in
55 > commercial container deployments, has realized that minimal is better,
56 > faster, easier to secure and can always be 'scaled up' by adding more
57 > codes (hence they subsumed Alpine Linux).
58 >
59 > Gentoo has a rich, legacy in old, simpler codes that bridge embedded
60 > linux to (bloated/full-featured) linux. Those old codes that appear to
61 > many as useless, indeed form a narrow bridge to both the past and the
62 > logic/tricks/methods to get various types of hardware working in a
63 > minimal or embedded environment. They are often 'single function' codes
64 > without the complexity of a gui or bloated formations. They are easy to
65 > read and with a CLI focus, allow a developer to see how some things
66 > work. Those old codes, folks are quick to purge now, often contain
67 > logical information on how to talk to hardware. (think ethernet for one).
70 > So when we had 'the attic' I was fine with codes being purged by
71 > whomever. There is no easy to use equivalent in github (and believe me,
72 > I'm a noooooob at github), so I have much anxiety about what, from my
73 > perspective, appears to be needless purging of many old codes. I have no
74 > problem with removal from the official tree, but I'd like to keep them
75 > around, regardless of any security, brokeness or un-maintained status. I
76 > completely OK with tree-cleaning, just a soon as the ink dries on the
77 > new wiki pages that guarantee archival of old codes. Security, is
78 > important, but not the main issue from my perspective. Maintenance of
79 > old codes, particularly written in C and related to hardware or logic of
80 > minimal systems, is keenly important to me. If gentoo remains 'a good
81 > stuart' of these codes, it just another mechanism
82 > to distinguish our distro, imho.
83 >
84 > So I would ask (beg if necessary) the kind folks that are the gentoo
85 > devs to figure out a way to archive those old codes, and document how to
86 > retrieve them, via github, as the attic too is probably like sunrise and
87 > such, headed towards deprecation and the chopping block.....
90 > Thanks,
91 > James
95 Here's a solution that handles that doesn't require fancy git knowledge
96 and uses Gentoo infrastructure:
97
98 1) Navigate to https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git (or any other
99 gentoo repo)
100 2) Click "Tree"
101 3) Navigate to the level ABOVE the one you are interested in, for
102 example, if you want app-misc/foobar, navigate into app-misc.
103 4) To the right of your desired entry, click "Log"
104 5) This will display the history of the package, allowing you to browse
105 it at any time, (you in particular want the one before the ebuild was
106 removed) (Click your desired commit)
107 6) Click the name of the category/package on the "Tree" line to view the
108 tree at that point in time. ie,
109 tree 02d93ae662fb1a813380775612e35e819d67e303
110 /app-accessibility/SphinxTrain (you would click
111 "app-accessibility/SphinxTrain"
112 7) View and download your desired files by clicking on "Plain" on the right
113
114 Protips:
115 *You can view the log of any package (removed or not) with:
116 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/log/<category>/<pkgname>
117
118 *You can view files as of last commit before removal of any package with:
119 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/<category>/<pkgname>?id=<lastcommitbeforeremoval>
120
121 * If you don't know the last commit before removal, juts load up the
122 removal commit and copy the commit hash of the "Parent" link to get the
123 commit before that
124
125 Tada! Attic restored ^_~
129 NP-Hardass