From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Forced/automatic USE flag constraints (codename: ENFORCED_USE)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 16:31:09
1 On Mon, 29 May 2017 17:33:13 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Automatically solving USE constraints solve all three fore-mentioned
5 > issues with REQUIRED_USE. By default, no user intervention is required
6 > to solve USE constraints and package.use needs to be modified only to
7 > enforce a non-standard solutons
8
9 Overall I like the proposal, but one question: How do you envisage
10 automatic use-constraints interacting with --newuse?
11
12 I have this feeling that "automatically enabled" flags could somehow
13 have an ephemeral nature, where a flag would be enabled at build time,
14 and then later a subsequent change in the graph toggles the flag off,
15 creating a potentially undesirable rebuild.
16
17 I feel I might be imagining a problem because I might have a wire
18 crossed somewhere, so some sort of confirmation that I'm the insane one
19 and this can't happen would be reassuring :)