From: Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new portage categories
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 20:31:39
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 20:11 Mon 04 Feb , Jonas Bernoulli wrote:
3 >> Thinking about it again I would say tags and categories just fulfill
4 >> different purposes. Tags can not replace categories but might be a
5 >> useful extension to categories for the tasks I described, not more not
6 >> less. They are not better or worse, just different:)
7 >
8 > Why don't you think they can replace categories?
9
10 For example:
11 # eix -e fuse
12 * app-emulation/fuse
15 * dev-java/fuse [1]
17 library specifically designed for GUI programming.
18
19 * sys-fs/fuse
21 userspace.
22
23 Also imagine all those packages sorted into subdirs just by first
24 character of the name (because having them all in one huge dir would be
25 murder), yuck :)
28 Vlastimil Babka (Caster)
29 Gentoo/Java