From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New local or global USE flags for sdl bindings: noimage & nomixer
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:30:14
1 On Thursday 26 August 2004 00:29, Spider wrote:
2 > However, I like the idea, quite a lot really. It would allow us
3 > developers who really know whats best for the user, even if they insist
4 > on "choices" and all that, to throw out a decent default. We do that
5 > for the whole system, and lets face it. Users shouldn't need to make a
6 > lot of choices just to get decent defaults. Choices come after this.
7
8 It also would make sense in any case. For example, take the java useflag. In
9 mozilla and other webbrowsers it allows running java plugins (makes a lot of
10 sense). However in for example the sys-libs/db ebuild it will build the java
11 bindings. There is no package depending on those bindings and almost no-one
12 will need them (esp. with the new java based db that is native and faster).
13 Currently however we can't make per package choices so we are in a limbo of
14 enabling or disabling the useflag by default. Of course this has been caused
15 in a big part by useflag overloading where one useflags has different
16 meanings to different packages. I think this way would be a good way to
17 battle it (besides package specific explanation/descriptions)
18
19 Paul
22 Paul de Vrieze
23 Gentoo Developer