From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 16:46:11
1 On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Eray Aslan <eras@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 10:44:48AM -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > > [1] Which isn't to say that I would accept 'orders' to commit crimes, or
5 > > other obviously bad things.
6 >
7 > This is the crux of the problem. There are certain lines you will not
8 > cross. I am saying that my line is different and by voicing that,
9 > hopefully, making you re-consider yours.
10 >
11 > > I'm again asserting that this idea is not
12 > > fundamentally bad. The community has a 'toxic people problem' and our
13 > > previous attempts at resolution have not really produced great results.
14 > > Will this also produce great results? Not sure. But willing to try it.
15 >
16 > Openness, transparency, inclusiveness. Those are some pretty
17 > fundemental values. Reconsider. But if you decide to go ahead, I am
18 > not going to judge you. You (or the council members who voted yes) are
19 > not bad persons. Just somewhat different values - which is surprising
20 > in a sad way.
23 I think of my aim is just playing a longer field here. I've been a part of
24 Gentoo for a long time. I've considered leaving numerous
25 times for a variety of reasons; yet I remain.
26
27 I don't disagree that the issue is important, but leaving an organization
28 really changes the velocity and direction of influence one
29 can have on it. Traditionally I have not seen external contributors have a
30 strong influence in Gentoo; so leaving to me implies a
31 loss of influence. If my goal is to have a good outcome; I'm not convinced
32 leaving accomplishes it. If I leave, will the council change their mind?
33 Why would they?
34
35 Perhaps you think myself (and other developers) should do more and I think
36 that is a reasonable thing to advocate for; but I'm also fairly happy with
37 a timeline
38 of:
39
40 1) We add moderation in ~April.
41 2) Council election happens in summer (I expect something of a strong
42 reckoning here, in terms of council makeup.)
43 3) Council` repeals the previous decision and we undo the moderation[1].
44
45 I tend to like this approach because I feel like its how the organization
46 was designed to work. I think alternatives involve essentially
47 'protesting'. E.g. I could propose the council discuss this topic at every
48 meeting. I could try to use my developer-ship to force extra council
49 meetings (emergency meetings perhaps.) I could collect signatures. I'm
50 still not convinced these things would be vehicles for change though.
51
52 [1] There is of course the risk that this doesn't come about, either
53 because the same council is re-elected or because the new council chooses
54 not to repeal. But I accept this risk willingly.
57 > --
58 > Eray