From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting EAPI 5 *use.stable.mask to work in gx86?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 00:45:17
1 On 12/11/2012 01:45 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 22:35:07 -0800
3 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 12/10/2012 01:27 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
6 >>> 1) duplicate most of the major profiles. Make an EAPI 5-enabled wrapper
7 >>> profiles which will provide the *use.stable.mask files. Require users
8 >>> to migrate to those profiles after getting an EAPI 5 capable package
9 >>> manager (how?). Possibly mask the relevant flags completely in other
10 >>> profiles.
11 >>
12 >> I think this is the obvious solution. You can make users migrate by
13 >> adding "deprecated" files to the old profiles.
14 >
15 > To be honest, I don't see much benefit from it compared to not having
16 > the *stable.use.mask files at all and just adding separate stable
17 > profiles.
18
19 The main use case for *use.stable.mask that I'm aware of is that it's
20 handy for masking flags to pass repoman checks. For example,
21 sys-apps/portage could use it for the pypy1_9 flag. Otherwise, we have
22 to mask that flag for a given portage version before we can add stable
23 keywords.
24 --
25 Thanks,
26 Zac