From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SLOTed MySQL or not?
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:52:45
1 On Thursday 09 March 2006 11:00, Doug Goldstein wrote:
2 > Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone thinks you did a great job with
3 > MySQL.
4
5 Ditto - and I voted against a slotted mysql at that :/
6
7 Maybe there needs to be an IWANTSLOTS feature or something, because the same
8 rationale for why I was against a slotted mysql would have other people
9 against a slotted kde, or slotted perl (ouch, so close to home, even if its
10 conceptually fictional) - I neither need nor desire having multiple copies of
11 the application available on one box, when i am only ever going to connect to
12 one running copy.
13
14 Hmmmm...a feature flag that (where applicable) disabled retaining other slots
15 might be nice come to think of it....<hijack thread accidently>....disabled
16 for the packages you need multiples of (berkdb?) but optionally enabled for
17 packages like WM's and relational DB's where you just might not want more
18 copies...or to remember to go back and unmerge and track the stray files
19 for....</end accidental hijack>
20
21 Just my 2cents. Don't take the vote results the wrong way - at leat you know
22 people cared enough to comment, which means your working on something
23 worthwhile :)
24
25 ~mcummings
26 --