From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] merging two packages - upgrade path?
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:50:34
1 >>>>> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
2
3 > This post is about how to create a nice upgrade path when merging two
4 > packages.
5 > The packages I care about are media-plugins/vdr-streamdev-{client,server},
6 > that we wanted to merge into one media-plugins/vdr-streamdev package.
9 > So there seem to be different options:
10
11 > 1. Just create the new packages and do blocks between split and merged
12 > versions.
13
14 > [...]
15
16 > 2. Same as 1, but create dummy ebuilds vdr-streamdev-client-100 and
17 > vdr-streamdev-server-100:
18
19 > pkg_setup() {
20 > eerror "Please unmerge vdr-streamdev-server and emerge vdr-streamdev"
21 > die
22 > }
23
24 With #1 the user will get a message about the blockers immediately.
25 With #2 his emerge (maybe of many packages) will needlessly die when
26 it reaches your package.
27
28 > 3. Let the dummy ebuilds RDEPEND/PDEPEND on the merged version.
29
30 As you said yourself, #3 will result in cruft leftover on the user's
31 system.
32
33 > #1 is the default used in the tree.
34
35 With good reason, IMHO. This is a package manager issue which
36 shouldn't be "solved" by creating strange dummy ebuilds.
37
38 Ulrich
39 --
40 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list