From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes made by acct-* ebuilds
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 16:18:21
1 On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 8:32 PM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
2 > In short: It was a very bad decision that acct-* stuff is *changing*
3 > existing stuff. This must be turned of *by default*. Maybe provide a
4 > setting a user can put into make.conf to opt into current, still new,
5 > behavior but by default, a package should never ever make changes to
6 > *existing* user (unless it knows for sure it was the only source
7 > creating that user and nothing was changed since creation which isn't
8 > easy to track).
9
10 I think it would make sense to add some eclass variables that would
11 turn user.eclass functions into no-ops.
12
13 I don't agree that this should be happen by default. I suspect the
14 majority of users do not wish to manage system users/groups
15 themselves.