From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Subslots: should they be bumped like SONAME or on any ABI changes?
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 19:14:13
1 On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Some time ago we've got bug #510780 [1] asking us to bump subslot
5 > on LLVM even though the new version was ABI-compatible with previous
6 > one. It was because it introduced new APIs which applications could
7 > make use of. Since I believe this is a wider issue, I would like to
8 > know the opinion of our community about this.
9 >
10 > More specifically: do we want subslots to change only when backwards-
11 > incompatible ABI changes are done -- alike SONAME -- or whenever any
12 > ABI change is done? The problem seems a bit complex.
13
14 I think subslot should only change with SONAME. Packages depending on
15 a new API can use a versioned dependency to ensure the new API is
16 available.
17
18 I think this covers all of the cases and doesn't cause problems? Let
19 me know if I've misunderstood something.