From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: should openrc be mandatory on all gentoo systems?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:15:07
1 On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 11:08 +0200, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On 06/29/11 03:07, Olivier Crête wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 17:10 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
6 > >> The background is that /etc/init.d/functions.sh is a link to
7 > >> /lib/rc/functions.sh, which is part of openrc.
8 > >>
9 > >> Other init systems, like systemd, are coming along which completely
10 > >> replace sysvinit and do not use openrc's init scripts at all. However,
11 > >> since things other than init scripts are using /etc/init.d/functions.sh,
12 > >> all gentoo users are forced to have openrc on their systems whether they
13 > >> use its init scripts or not.
14 > >>
15 > >> As you can see in the bug, I am working on creating a
16 > >> minimalist version of openrc that can be installed to allow users to
17 > >> have access to the functions that are in functions.sh regardless of
18 > >> whether or not they are using openrc's init system.
19 > >>
20 > >> I'm not convinced that this is the best approach, so any input would be
21 > >> greatly appreciated.
22 > >
23 > > As long as we have Gentoo-style init scripts in the tree, we will need
24 > > these functions to be available. So yes, they should probably be in a
25 > > separate package from openrc itself to ease the transition to the bright
26 > > systemd future.
27 > >
28 > We tolerate the systemd madness as long as it doesn't interfere with
29 > other things.
30 >
31 > But as OpenRC has some rare features ("being able to start and stop
32 > stuff" and "being reasonably fast" among them) and there's no
33 > replacement at the moment I see no reason to add a convoluted mess of
34 > insanity just to feel good.
35
36 I think you're missing how systemd is above and beyond OpenRC (and all
37 other init systems). It has stuff like using cgroups to guarantee that
38 all the processes associated with a service have stopped (openrc doesn't
39 do that), it provides very fast boot (openrc doesn't do that), it can
40 activate services on demand (openrc doesn't do that), etc..
41
42 And you also underestimate the amount of momentum that Lennart has
43 managed to amass behind systemd. I expect that much sooner than you
44 think, we won't have a choice but to switch to systemd as many core
45 components will start depending on it.
48 Olivier Crête
49 tester@g.o
50 Gentoo Developer