From: Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] volonteers for a gentoo admin tool (portage frontend)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:18:32
1 On Sunday 22 June 2003 14:07, Michael Kohl wrote:
2 > What I'd love to see is something to replace the clutter of tools
3 > currently present (mirrorselect, ufed, the various -confifgs etc.) for
4 > gentoo specific tasks in on single tool, "Emergency" (my first name
5 > proposal), "gentoo-config" or whatever name we decide on.
6 Not Emergency - please! It sounds as if it's always gonna crash and you need
7 to call emergensy service. I've got another proposal: Gremlin? It has G - for
8 gentoo. In the end of the day we have "Konqui the dragon" for KDE, Demon, for
9 BSD. Why not Gremlin for gentoo?
10
11 > So maybe a good point to start would be _new_ functionality like a GUI
12 > for setting various settings in /etc/make.conf (portdir overlay,
13 > features, rsync retries etc.) and then start working on integrating
14 > functionality currently provided by the other tools.
15 Probably we should go other way round? First integrate what is already done
16 and then add new things. This way we'll make sure we're not just gonna add
17 one more tool, but really integrate existing ones.
18
19 > I'm not even sure anymore if I want to see package managment included in
20 > this unified tool, as from my point of view a full featured package
21 > manager is a project worth it's on program. But regarding this I'm open
22 > for argument and other people's opinion.
23 I feel that package management has to be in such tool, though not nesesarily
24 in first versions.
27 Sergey Kuleshov <svyatogor@g.o>
28 Let the Force be with us!
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list