From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Hi....
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 09:14:05
1 On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 09:28:56AM +0200, Heine wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > The part with the profiles sounds great, im working at a danish ISP,
5 > and i think ISP's need a distro like gentoo, because it's (can be)
6 > a striped down linux. And a default isp profile would be great.
7 > (with sshd as the only service to listen)
8 >
9 > I know this is a hackers distro, but what about som info on the USE var's,
10 > im not sure what all of them do.
11 >
12 > USE="slang readline gpm berkdb gdbm tcpd pam libwww ssl
13 > # lm_sensors lvm pcmcia-cs alsa
14 > # nls mmx mitshm
15 > # esd lcms gif sdl vorbis ogg
16 > # gnome gtk X qt kde motif opengl mozilla"
17
18 This info will be available in the next day or two. I'm about to revamp
19 our USE system so that it's modular, and you can do things like:
20
21 USE="cpu(mmx,sse,3dnow) php(*) gnome(*) X(mitshm)"
22
23 Basically, we will be adding fine-grained USE functionality in the next
24 couple of days because the USE variables are growing so rapidly. This
25 system will also be backwards-compatible with our old system. I'll post
26 lots of docs on this as I begin redesigning things.
27
28 Best Regards,
31 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
32 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org