From: Matthew Kennedy <mbkennedy@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] help with readline confusion
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 03:54:55
1 I was creating an ebuild for octave and I noticed something interesting.
2 The 2.1.x branch of octave checks for readline 4.2 during configure.
3 Since my system (recently rsync'd too) has readline 4.1, octave's
4 configure fails.
5
6 Then I happened to look in /usr/portage/sys-libs/readline and I see
7 ebuilds for 4.1, 4.2 and 4.2a:
8
9 readline-4.1-r3.ebuild
10 readline-4.2.ebuild
11 readline-4.2a.ebuild
12
13 (4.2a having the latest mtime)
14
15 If I emerge --search, I get the following:
16
17 * sys-libs/readline
18 Latest version Available: 4.1-r3
19 Latest version Installed: 4.1-r3
20
21 My question has two parts. 1.I had expected that the "latest version
22 available" would show 4.2a, but it doesn't. I must be missing something
23 about how emerge determines which ebuild is the latest available. Is
24 4.2a not to be used just right now?
25
26 2. octave want's 4.2. I can satisfy it with an "ebuild
27 readline-4.2a.ebuild merge", but then I don't think i should, because if
28 users aren't getting 4.2 from an emerge, then I doubt I can expect them
29 to ebuild it manually when they emerge the octave package. Does this
30 logic sound right?
31
32 Many thanks,
33