From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Put DESCRIPTION HOMEPAGE and LICENSE in another place
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:40:42
1 Mildly hijacking the thread to poke about alternative mirroring
2 methods...
3
4 On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 10:23:48PM -0700, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
5 > The diff between 20050801 and 20050802 is only 862668 bytes (uncompressed) (and
6 > 157728 bytes when bzip2'd), so either rsync needs some serious work done in
7 > it's file list code, or we should consider if rsync is still the best fit for
8 > portage.
9 for emerge-delta-webrsync-
10 88243 bzip2 compressed,
11 197756 uncompressed
12
13 To get down to low bandwidth overhead on updates, whatever method of
14 distributing the tree will have to know of versioning; specifically, what
15 the snapshot/version of the tree you're updating is.
16
17 If you knew via a quick check what the treewide version was, you could
18 also avoid the massively nasty bit of scanning the tree. Also would
19 need the tree to be truly frozen- which a bunch of files slapped down
20 on disk doesn't seem too suitable for.
21
22 The earlier comments from the zsync thread about offering the tree as
23 a zipfile, and having a repository plugin that could work directly
24 from zip seems to me as the next best step...
25
26 Anyone got a better alternative?
27 ~harring