From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] x11-base/xorg-server: No longer enabling suid by default.
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 09:32:04
1 Piotr Karbowski wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On 26/05/2020 00.34, Philip Webb wrote:
5 >> I'ld rather you didn't.
6 > You didn't provided any rationale for that. Running X as root is anti
7 > pattern, especially nowadays when so little effort is required to not
8 > have to run it as root.
9 >
10 > You can either enable elogind, or you can enable suid if you want to
11 > preserve your status quo, we're talking here about defaults that user
12 > can change if he has a reason to do so.
13 >
14 > -- Piotr.
17 As a user.
18
19 [ebuild   R    ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.20.7:0/1.20.7::gentoo
20 USE="elogind ipv6 libglvnd suid udev xorg -debug -dmx -doc -kdrive
21 -libressl -minimal (-selinux) -static-libs -systemd -unwind -wayland
22 -xcsecurity -xephyr -xnest -xvfb"
23
24 I don't recall the security issue that setting comes with.  As a user,
25 I'd rather defaults be secure and if I need to make a exception, then I
26 can do so locally.  I use elogin, used the other method until the recent
27 change, so I likely don't need it set this way.  If I understand this
28 correctly, I'm going to disable suid and use the more secure method.  I
29 think it is reasonable since most likely, most users would expect the
30 more secure method as a default and use a login tool that works with
31 that setting. Those who use some other method, such as manually starting
32 X, they still have the option to set it in whatever way works for them.
33 I do agree with the point in another post that there should be some sort
34 of notice about the change.  One that is easily seen since it can cause
35 problems.
36
37 In the middle of typing, I made the change and ran into no problems so
38 far. I restarted the GUI and logged in just fine.
39
40 Just a users perspective.
41
42 Dale