From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dependencies default to accept any slot value acceptable (:*), can we default to :0 instead?
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 20:25:52
1 On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 21:21:59 +0100
2 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 21:01:00 +0100
4 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
5 > > >>>>> On Sun, 8 Dec 2013, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > Sure it does - it defaults to :* when :* was never specified. I
8 > > > don't see how defaulting to :0= is a "policy" any more than :* is.
9 > >
10 > > Defaulting to :* is just the long term behaviour from EAPIs 0 to 4
11 > > when no slot operator was specified.
12 >
13 > Which section in the PMS is this specified?
14
15 It's not, exactly. Paludis treats :* and "no slot specified"
16 differently. The former allows for runtime switching of slots. The
17 latter assumes "we don't know which slot it needs, so to be safe we'll
18 have to assume it could be any of them".
21 Ciaran McCreesh