From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>, cardoe@××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Baselayout 2 stabilisation todo
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 18:03:48
1 On Saturday 23 May 2009, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > Basically as Doug said, each OpenRC version comes with a few big
3 > chances. Well not massive as in "your box will break now", but just a
4 > different spin on how things should work. OpenRC-0.5 will have the
5 > biggest re-spin to date - net.lo (net.eth0 etc) is considered
6 > deprecated.
7
8 If future changes of this magnitude are still expected, I wonder if we
9 want to go stable with OpenRC anytime soon. I do not intend to hinder
10 fast progress and design changes in OpenRC in any way, but if its
11 design is not considered final, I suggest we do not make it the default
12 recommandation for our users.
13 Marking it stable might also be contraproductive for upstream since
14 revised configurations need to stay supported a lot longer than they
15 would had they been used only by ~arch users.
18 Robert