From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for getting rid of udev
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:29:27
1 On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >> Goodbye desktop users then.
3 >>
4 >> We recently dropped HAL. Now all the magic that was done by HAL (and
5 >> required udev anyway) is done through udev directly.
6 >
7 >  My system worked just fine before HAL was introduced, thank you.  I
8 > always had sys-apps/hal and sys-apps/dbus in /etc/portage/package.mask
9 > and my system continued to work just fine, thank you.
10
11 This is not about *your* system, it's about the general Gentoo
12 community systems. And in most cases, the functionality that mdev
13 provides is not even a fraction of what udev can do, like it or not.
14
15 I have a pair of bluetooth headphones; I turn them up and set them to
16 pair with something, and gnome-shell in GNOME 3 right away asks me if
17 it's OK to pair with them. I say yes, and the headphones are
18 immediately available in the desktop; thanks to PulseAudio, I can
19 transfer all my apps (or only some of them) to the headphones, without
20 even needing to pause the streams.
21
22 All of this without a single modification to a config file. It just
23 works. And that is thanks to udev (among several other pieces of the
24 stack).
25
26 mdev is designed for embedded systems (like busybox). By design it
27 cannot handle of the cases that udev handles, and so it is not suited
28 for a general purpose distribution like Gentoo. If you wan to try to
29 use it, that's your right of course. But don't ask the Gentoo devs to
30 do the work for you; do it yourself. And be aware that anyway the devs
31 will choose to stick with udev (like many have already said), because
32 they have to think about the general case, not an arbitrary particular
33 case.
34
35 Just the .02 ${CURRENCY} from an old Gentoo user happy with systemd,
36 dracut, udev, dbus, GNOME 3, and other really cool new technologies.
37
38 Regards.
39 --
40 Canek Peláez Valdés