From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Questions about licenses
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:05:14
1 On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:12:30 +0200
2 Torsten Veller <tove@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > * Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>:
5 > > On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 13:18 +0200, Torsten Veller wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > Why do we add a license to the licenses/ dir?
8 > >
9 > > Because there should be an easy way to find licenses?
10 > > And you can do "emerge search foo", then read the license and decide
11 > > wether you want to install foo.
12 > >
13 > > > And in addition: When should a license be added to licenses/ ?
14 > >
15 > > When at least one ebuild uses a license that is not already there?
16 >
17 > Ok, here is a license: <http://rafb.net/paste/results/j88sYC87.html>
18 > I couldn't decide if this one is present already.
19 > All i have checked are slightly different. Maybe someone knows ;)
20 >
21 > If it is not in licenses/, can someone suggest a name for this one?
22
23 Looks like as-is.
24
25 > > > There are over 3MB in nearly 500 files. How will those licenses be
26 > > > classified if ACCEPT_LICENSES (GLEP 23) is implemented?
27 > > I guess groups ... OSI approved, "free", commercial, ...
28 >
29 > Classification <-> groups, sure.
30 > But how? How can this be done with 500 files? Who wants to do this?
31
32 Personally I'd only make groups: needs user confirmation and doesn't
33 need user confirmation, as those are the only ones that have a
34 technical reason (and the former group already needs special treatment).
35 At most also use external lists of licenses like OSI or FSF, but IMO it
36 would be a bad idea to provide any set of "free" licenses or use other
37 vague/ subjective limitations.
38
39 Marius
44 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
45 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.