From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion to drop "pcre" from default enabled USE flags in profiles
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 19:19:57
El mié, 06-06-2012 a las 14:53 -0400, Mike Frysinger escribió:
> On Wednesday 06 June 2012 14:06:47 Pacho Ramos wrote: > > The problem is that grep keeps linked against libpcre and it can cause > > problems like pointed in referred bug report, and it's really risky as > > people can have their portage completely broken for example when libpcre > > is downgraded for some reason. That doesn't sound like a good *default* > > behavior for me > > there are plenty of core tools that can be broken by other packages forcing > broken behavior like library downgrades.
I know that, but I am simply trying to get safer values that could help to minimize the risk a bit and, since enabling pcre system wide didn't look (and still don't look) really needed to me, I asked to stop enabling it to prevent this exact risk that looks major enough to me
> and FEATURES=preserve-libs would > gracefully handle this. > > off the top of my head, lib dependencies that can bring a system down: > - bash links against ncurses & readline > - sed links against acl > - coreutils links against acl/libcap/selinux/gmp > - grep links against pcre > (with at least USE=acl being a profile default) > > so highlighting the grep/pcre dep doesn't seem like it accomplishes much > -mike
I am not trying to reach the safest and unbreakable update path that won't ever fail as explained at top ;)