From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder: ALLARCHES
Date: Sun, 01 May 2016 15:07:04
1 On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
2 > And it means we're missing opportunities where "pure" interpreted
3 > packages may test corner cases of the language implementation and find
4 > bugs in (JIT or previously) "compiled" code. And that means we're
5 > calling things "stable" that may expose such bugs that turn out not to
6 > be corner cases at all and affect running systems in unpleasant ways.
7
8 While this is a risk, I still think the cleanest solution here is to
9 encourage maintainers to be aware of the packages they maintain and
10 exercise the appropriate discretion when they think these corner cases
11 exist and are important. Understanding the nuances of a package and
12 how it works and how it is used is really a core purpose of having a
13 maintainer in the first place. Of course no maintainer is perfect,
14 but I think the upside is more than the downside here and as with
15 anything we'll learn.
18 Rich