From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: l10n.eclass
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 17:38:05
1 On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 13:29:24 -0400
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3 > > If you dep upon foo[linguas_en(+)] and linguas_en isn't in IUSE,
4 > > what happens?
7 > Firstly, if there are no linugas_ flags in IUSE, I can't see any point
8 > in such a dependency.
9
10 If linguas_ is in IUSE for some versions and not others. You know, as
11 (+) dependencies always expect.
12
13 > > It's not a normal environment variable, and it never has been.
14 >
15 > It was a normal variable before someone added it to USE_EXPAND. From
16 > cvs, it looks like that happened in 2005 or so.
17
18 ...which is plenty long enough to have dealt with the consequences.
19
20 > >> For most gettext packages, there is absolutely no reason that the
21 > >> ebuild maintainer should have to keep track of every translation
22 > >> available in a given package across version bumps. If you change
23 > >> this behavior in a future EAPI, you will break this.
24 > >
25 > > Don't use a USE_EXPAND variable if you don't want USE_EXPAND
26 > > behaviour.
27 >
28 > I beleive LINGUAS originates from the autoconf macros (po.m4) provided
29 > by the gettext package. I believe we added it to USE_EXPAND some time
30 > after it was implemented in gettext. This "just works" given the
31 > current portage behavior.
32
33 The problem with "just works" is that it "just works unless you look
34 closely or unless you try to do something slightly non-trivial". We're
35 not dealing with a small system here, so we need to move beyond "just
36 works (sort of)" to "correct". We can't provide people with the
37 features they're asking for without that.
38
39 > Perhaps we need to provide a cleaner way for ebuilds to specify if a
40 > given variable should be treated as a USE_EXPAND or not.
41
42 USE_EXPAND isn't a per ebuild setting.
45 Ciaran McCreesh