From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Handling "exactly one of many" dependencies
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 15:19:42
1 On Thursday 07 July 2005 11:05 am, twofourtysix wrote:
2 > ebuild(5) provides an example of the DEPEND string for a package which
3 > can handle exactly one of several different video interfaces:
4 > <snip>
5 > I've been using a similar construct in one of my local ebuilds. My
6 > build code is along the lines of:
7 > <snip>
8
9 while your example is correct, it's prety ugly shell code :P
10
11 > However, a recently overheard conversation on IRC suggests that this
12 > is incorrect.
13
14 the only argument ive heard against using || ( ) is binary packages due to the
15 'accept any' nature of || ( )
16
17 for example:
18 || ( x11-libs/gtk+ media-libs/libsdl )
19 this means either gtk+ or libsdl is OK, but prefer gtk+ if neither exist ...
20 but when you go to use a binary package and the system has the other package
21 installed, things can go bad ... built against one lib but trying to use the
22 runtime from a different one
23
24 > I can find several ebuilds in the tree
25 > that appear to use the same technique, however. Are these buggy?
26
27 depends who you ask ... considering it's the simplest technology we have atm
28 to get the job done i say the binary package breakage is acceptable ...
29 bloating DEPEND as you suggested to work around portage limitations is just
30 as bad imo
31 -mike
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list