From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentle reminder about ChangeLog entries on profiles
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 23:46:44
1 On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 17:40 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 12:20 -0800, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 08:27:50AM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > > > Most of the profiles under default-linux have a ChangeLog at the
5 > > > architecture level. If you make *any* changes to a profile, you should
6 > > > be putting your changes in the ChangeLog.
7 >
8 > > Just wondering, any objections if we add ChangeLogs at the rest of the
9 > > levels in profiles? Would esp. be useful for some of the more global
10 > > changes.
11 >
12 > Not really.
13 >
14 > Personally, I'd prefer there not be ChangeLogs any deeper on
15 > default-linux than $arch, so adding one to, say, default-linux would be
16 > good, adding one to default-linux/x86/2006.1 would be rather pointless.
17 > I could definitely see the use of having one on base and default-linux,
18 > for sure.
22 > I'll leave it up to other projects (hardened/embedded/etc) if
23 > they would want to follow suit, but it definitely makes Release
24 > Engineering work much easier having it.
25
26 No objections. TBH we don't really have to edit those profiles often.
27 We/I try to keep them as static as possible. When they do change it's
28 usually cuz somebody has some brilliant idea for some non linux which
29 forces all other profiles to update to mask or unmask some use flag.
30 We/I tend to request that they update it themselves.
31
32 But note taken. If I have to edit something I'll try to remember to
33 add a ChangeLog entry.
37 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
38 Gentoo Linux
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list