From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ANN: broken-up kde ebuilds (aka 'emerge kmail')
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 05:27:27
1 Dan Armak posted <200410200638.28878.danarmak@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:38:21 +0200:
3
4 > On Wednesday 20 October 2004 00:42, Duncan wrote:
5 >> Ugly! Is the cache kept in such a way that for specific things like this,
6 >> one can go in and excise them using sed and the like?
7 >
8 > Yes. Just run it once and look in /var/cache/confcache... We keep the
9 > configure cache file as-is and another text file with file->checksum
10 > mappings, and a third file with env variable values (if eg $CC changes, the
11 > cache is dumped).
12
13 Thanks. Whatever else it may be (and it definitely has it's strong
14 points), Gentoo is certainly a continuing learning experience! It's neat
15 to see how these things work, and even neater in contrast with the UNFREE
16 World of software in which I was up to a couple years ago. It STILL
17 amazes me how all this not only code but development is conducted out in
18 the open where just anyone can examine and learn from it, hopefully
19 eventually contributing themselves. Going back now is as unthinkable as
20 asking the defector whether he'd go back, until the old rule falls, anyway.
24 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
25 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
26 Benjamin Franklin
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list