From: "Michael R. Gayeski" <mrgayeski@×××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Broken Sound in KDE3
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 18:46:43
1 > On another angle, I was already aware that the names of the alsa modules
2 > has changed recently, usually dropping the '-card-' portion of the name
3
4 Unfortunately, simply dropping the name will not work if you use the
5 /etc/init.d/alsasound init script, since it searches your /etc/modules.conf
6 file for the string 'snd-card-[:[number]:]', and loads the drivers it finds
7 that way.. I find that adding the line: 'alias snd-card-0 snd-xxxxx' (where
8 xxxx is the name of your sound card) to your /etc/modules.d/alsa file will
9 fix the init script.
10
11 >Since OSS does not seem to complain when booting, I rem'd the snd-sb16 (alsa)
12 >driver from modules.autoload. No errors on boot, but the OSS sound doesn't
13
14 I don't think loading the snd-sb16 module is enough for alsa support in the
15 0.9x drivers. There may be some drivers that are not getting properly loaded.
16 Check out the alsasound script and the /etc/modules.d/alsa file to try and
17 figure out what gets loaded.
18
19 Good luck,
20