From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 16:10:47
1 Rich Freeman:
2 > On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Dnia 2014-09-14, o godz. 10:33:03
4 >>
5 >> With git, we can finally do stuff like preparing everything and pushing
6 >> in one go. Rebasing or merging will be much easier then, since
7 >> the effective push rate will be smaller than current commit rate.
8 >
9 > While I agree that the ability to consolidate commits will definitely
10 > help with the commit rate, I'm not sure it will make a big difference.
11 > It will turn a kde stablereq from 300 commits into 1, and do the same
12 > for things like package moves and such. However, I suspect that the
13 > vast majority of our commits are things like bumps on individual
14 > packages that will always be individual commits. Maybe insofar as one
15 > person does a bunch of them they can be pushed at the same time,
16 > but...
17 >
18 > Looking at https://github.com/rich0/gentoo-gitmig-2014-02-21 it seems
19 > like we get about 150 commits/day on busy days. I suspect that isn't
20 > evenly distributed, but you may be right that it will just work out.
23 If the push frequency becomes so high that people barely get stuff
24 pushed because of conflicts, then we simply have to say goodbye to the
25 central repository workflow and have to establish a hierarchy where only
26 a handful of people have direct push access and the rest is worked out
27 through pull requests to project leads or dedicated reviewers.
28
29 So the merging and rebasing work would then be done by fewer people
30 instead of every single developer.
31
32 But given that currently project leads may or may not be active I'm not
33 sure that I'd vote for such a workflow. And I don't think we need that
34 yet (although enforced review workflow is ofc superior in many ways).
35
36 Let's try it with push access for every developer.