From: Marc Schiffbauer <mschiff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 02:58:59
1 * Olivier Crête schrieb am 06.01.12 um 03:15 Uhr:
2 > On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 08:44 +0800, Patrick Lauer wrote:
3 > > On 01/06/12 05:26, Olivier Crête wrote:
4 > > [snip]
5 > > > The only thing I see them sacrificing is loose coupling, they provide
6 > > > more functionality than any other init system, more correctness
7 > > > (seriously, did you ever read most init scripts out there?), more well
8 > > > defined behavior (all systemd systems boot exactly the same), more
9 > > > stability (I'll claim that Lennart's C is better than any of the
10 > > > boot-time shell scripts I've seen) and well understandability depends
11 > > > who much you can understand C. Probably a bit less understandable for
12 > > > sysadmins, but since they can just play with config files, it's
13 > > > probably easier to understand in the end (and much less prone to
14 > > > breaking than mucking around shell scripts).
15 > > As you apparently have no idea what a sysadmin does I'd appreciate it if
16 > > people like you didn't try to guess what would make things better and
17 > > instead listened to people that have more than their desktop to run.
18 > > (Hint: It's not pressing reset buttons)
19 >
20 > I know what they do.. play in random scripts until whatever they're
21 > trying to hack together it seems to work, because oh well, its just a
22 > one time thing.. and then when stuff breaks they call Red Hat's support
23 > line.
24
25 Oh, Are you really telling that the freedom of being able to "play
26 in random scripts" is a bad thing and that its better to make this
27 impossible by hiding everything in compiled binaries?
28
29 To me its kind of arrogant to think that the "everage admin" is too
30 stupid to handle her system properly. Sure there are admins that do
31 bad "one time things" with scripts. So what. Is this a reason to
32 prevent anyone from doing so?
33
34 Do you think there are also good admins, that are able to FIX a bug
35 in a script?
36
37 And about RedHat support: They PAY for being able USE it!
38
39 > > Given the choice between a single line of shell ( cat "$urandom_seed" >
40 > > /dev/urandom ) or 145 lines of undocumented C (which, if naively
41 > > modified by me, might just make systemd segfault) ... there is no choice.
42 >
43 > Actually, you don't have to do that, systemd does it for you and takes
44 > care of all the annoying details [1].
45
46 Yeah. And systemd will be 100% bugfree! Always! Granted!
49 > That said, you can trivially disable systemd-random-seed-save.service
50 > and systemd-random-seed-load.service and instead write a unit file that
51 > runs whatever you want. You don't HAVE to do any C to run stuff from
52 > systemd, but it does provide many things written in C that are much more
53 > solid than the shell equivalents.
54
55 And if just ONE bug exists that wil make systemd segfault? A faulty
56 script will only fail to do the action it was made for (most
57 propably) ...
58
59 > > I do agree with you on one point - most init scripts are really bad
60 > > code, but that doesn't mean shell is bad, it means that you need to
61 > > educate people and file bugs. I've laughed at SLES' /etc/bashrc, I read
62 > > most of upstart and wondered how ... why ... is it can be drunk tiem?
63 > > Still that doesn't mean that rewriting it in bad C is in any way more
64 > > agreeable, and you just made debugging exquisitely painful. Yey.
65 >
66 > The big reason for C vs shell scripts is that the type of people who
67 > write them are not the same.. The type of people who write shell scripts
68 > tend to hack together stuff until it works.
69
70 This is plain wrong and insulting. You can do more bad things with C
71 than you can do with a shell.
74 > The people who write C tend
75 > to think about the problem for a long time and then write a complete
76 > solution that tries to take into account all of the possible error
77 > scenarios.
78
79 I would be happy if it was really like that...
80
81 -Marc
82 --
83 8AAC 5F46 83B4 DB70 8317 3723 296C 6CCA 35A6 4134