From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: media-libs/x265/
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 18:03:29
1 On Tue, 26 May 2020 10:45:39 -0400
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Note that having the 'pic' useflag should be considered something
4 > > to be fixed: rewrite the asm in a PIC way. But these days nobody
5 > > has the will to do it since this is mostly an issue on x86+pax,
6 > > both being slowly decreasing.
7 >
8 > Given that PaX has been stripped out of official Gentoo kernels due to
9 > the grsecurity licensing issue, I wonder if there is any other good
10 > reason to keep the "pic" USE flag today. Surely this affects a very
11 > small population of users.
14 I couldn't find any recent reference, but PIC shared libs used to be a
15 QA policy. There's mainly two reasons to it: First is W^X enforcement;
16 non PIC shared libs are refused by the x86_64 linker so a non-issue
17 there, on x86 you need pax to emulate it because the mmu doesn't support
18 the X part; I don't know about other arches.
19 Then there is the small memory waste done because those libs will be
20 loaded COW and thus their "code" is not shared anymore between
21 processes. And the small startup performance hit to
22 perform the relocations.
23
24 The latter part affects everyone, and the rule of thumb for having a
25 pic useflag (instead of always pic) is that the gain for non-pic asm is
26 better than the loss of non-pic shared libs. This is subjective but
27 usually a no-brainer for multimedia packages.
28
29 This is probably something to bring up to QA too.