From: Markus Dittrich <markusle@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] new eclass and portage category: octave-forge.eclass and dev-octave
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:57:48
1 Dear All,
2
3 The sci herd would like to propose the addition of a new
4 octave-forge.eclass as well as a new portage category
5 dev-octave to house new octave-forge ebuilds.
6
7 Background:
8 -----------
9
10 GNU octave [1] is a high level language and computing environment aimed
11 at numerical computations. octave-forge [2] provides a collection of
12 extensions for, e.g., image processing, bioinformatics, etc., to the octave
13 core package. In the past, the octave-forge package extending the octave-2*
14 core was a monolithic build and is currently available in portage as
15 sci-mathematics/octave-forge. For the newly released octave-3* core,
16 octave-forge has been split into a large number of individual packages,
17 each implementing a distinct functionality. In addition, the breath of the
18 new octave-forge packages has been greatly expanded. Currently, there are
19 more than 40 octave-forge-packages and the number is growing.
22 Current State of Affairs:
23 -------------------------
24
25 We have developed an octave-forge.eclass that handles the installation
26 of individual octave-forge packages as well as the management of the
27 octave core-owned package database.
28 Both the octave-forge.eclass [3] as well as the individual
29 octave-forge ebuilds [4] are currently maintained in the scientific overlay
30 and have been tested over the past couple of months.
33 Proposal:
34 ---------
35
36 We would like to propose two things:
37
38 1) Addition of the octave-forge.eclass [3] to the main portage tree.
39
40 The octave-forge.eclass in its current state provides a wrapper
41 around the package install functionality of the octave core.
42 It uses octave core's "pkg" command for compilation and
43 installation inside the sandbox and adds functionality
44 to maintain the octave core database file of installed octave-forge
45 packages. It is available for review at [3] (due to its length I didn't
46 want to attach it to the post).
47
48 2) Addition of the individual octave-forge packages into a new
49 category, dev-octave
50
51 In principle, the octave-forge packages could be added to sci-mathematics.
52 However, since we are already at > 40 packages with more to come in
53 the future it seems that creating a completely new category dev-octave
54 would both be more appropriate and make things more manageable in the
55 future.
58 Any feedback regarding our proposal and improvements to the octave-forge.eclass
59 would be very welcome.
60
61 Thanks all for your time and reading through this long post.
62
63 Best regards,
64 Markus
68 [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/