From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Yet Another Multi-QT Scheme
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:38:51
1 Hi all,
2
3 The current (latest) scheme for the qt /etc/env.d files has multi-qt support
4 with regard to major qt versions (2,3,...) but not minor versions (2.2,
5 2.3...). This is my proposition for adding this support.
6
7 What we want is a file in /etc/env.d for every minor version of qt. Revisions
8 (2.3.X) don't need separate files since they are binary compatible and can be
9 freely switched.
10
11 This is the file that adds /usr/lib/qt-x11-version/{bin,lib,man} to PATH,
12 ROOTPATH, LDPATH and MANPATH respectively.
13
14 We also want the newer versions of qt to go into the various PATHs first,
15 therefore they need the lower numbers, so as to be processed first.
16
17 Proposition 1:
18 qt-x.y.z (8-x)(9-y)qt-x11-x.y.z
19 That is:
20 qt-2.0 69
21 qt-2.2 67
22 qt-2.3 66
23 qt-3.0 50
24 qt-4 40
25
26 This makes it easy to calculate the number for each new file. However, it has
27 a rather large spread. It might be better to simply assign consecutive
28 numbers as the new versions come out, starting around e.g. 60:
29 qt-2.0 60
30 qt-2.1 59
31 qt-2.2 58
32 qt-2.3 57
33 qt-3.0 56
34 ...
35 and so on. I don't mind either way.
36 Now that I've written both out, the first seems rather silly :-)
37
38 There is also the "versionless" ??qt file which sets QTDIR, it is currently
39 numebered 30 and I see no reason to change that.
40
41 As always, please reply with objections to prevent me from doing this.
42
43 Note: since noone (but myself) has a non-2.x qt installed right now, these
44 changes won't affect anything.
45
46 However, everyone will have to merge the latest revision of their 2.x qt and
47 unmerge the old one before merging any version of qt3.x. Once things get
48 settled - and I really think this'll be the final scheme - how do we make
49 everyone upgrade?
53 Dan Armak
54 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
55 Matan, Israel