From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] package.deprecated to mark packages deprecated and report dependencies
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 17:10:45
1 Hi,
2
3 leio asked me yesterday for the possibility of marking packages
4 as deprecated, so that CI would issue warnings when other packages
5 depend on them. I think that's quite a good idea, so I'd like to
6 propose a simple implementation for it.
7
8 The idea is to provide profiles/package.deprecated using the same format
9 as package.mask. However, unlike the latter it wouldn't cause any user-
10 visible results but only affect pkgcheck (and possibly repoman, if
11 someone writes the check).
12
13 Basically you'd put something like:
14
15 # name <email> (date)
16 # We don't like this package anymore, so we want to remove it ASAP.
17 dev-foo/bar
18
19 # name <email> (date)
20 # Old slot is not nice at all.
21 dev-bar/frobnicate:0.1
22
23 # name <email> (date)
24 # Nononono, don't use that.
25 <dev-zoo/elephant-
26 11.0
27
28 This would cause matching packages to be marked as deprecated. It
29 wouldn't affect normal install behavior but pkgcheck/CI would complain
30 if any package had a dependency that can only be satisfied
31 by the deprecated packages.
32
33 What do you think?
36 Best regards,