From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Testing to see if services have crashed on hardened
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:37:14
1 On 21-03-2008 10:20:45 +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > Hi List.
3 >
4 > I've just removed the code to check for euid when running services and
5 > instead relying on permissions of the service state dir and testing
6 > errno. This is a good thing, but it does have one side effect.
7 >
8 > OpenRC can track daemons by how they were started. So every time you
9 > run rc-status it tests each reported service to ensure all daemons are
10 > up. This also works fine unprivileged on normal boxes - except for
11 > hardened where users can only see their own processes.
12
13 Assuming you would use libkvm, on Darwin this means as unprivileged user
14 (not using suid) you can't see any processes at all.
15
16 > This isn't really an easy answer, as we could have installed OpenRC in a
17 > prefix where this wouldn't apply, but we don't know that either.
18 >
19 > Ideas anyone?
20
21 Is there a way to just have some fallback method which is less
22 functional, but just uses some pid file with a lock or something?
26 Fabian Groffen
27 Gentoo on a different level
28 --
29 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list