From: Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@×××.org>
To: Frederick Reeve <frederick@××××××××××.org>
Cc: Alain Penders <alain@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net.eth0
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 22:54:06
1 On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 11:02:07AM +0100, Frederick Reeve wrote:
2 > > With force option, you mean an option that installs the package, even if
3 > > it is masked?
4 > >
5 > > We're looking at ways to eliminate package.mask for portage 2.1, but it'd be
6 > > done without using 'force'.
7 >
8 > This is exactly what I meant.
9 >
10 > Good well I guess you are a few steps ahead of me.
11
12 I don't think this is quite enough actually. It's one thing to fall to a
13 usable state on failure to find a DHCP server, and I think it's good that
14 this has been done finally, this only handles half the problem. Once the
15 interface is brought up using a random IP, it is necessary to be able to
16 rescan for DHCP servers after, say, you plug the cable in. Once you do
17 that, you probably would want to restart a set of services such as apache
18 to get them listening on the new port.
19
20 I'd suggest setting a few environment vars and throwing run-parts at a
21 directory after the interface is brought up. These can, eg, check to see
22 if apache has been started yet and restart it if necessary. They could
23 also, for wireless links, start aphopper (probably only appropriate when
24 that program matures a little more), or other things like that. Really
25 there are lots of possibilities here.
26
27 For those interfaces which support it (e100 does at least), you could use
28 ifplugd (not yet in portage because I've gotten too busy of late to finish
29 the ebuild and submit it) and it would then automatically recheck for a
30 DHCP server and restart necessary services upon plugging in the network
31 cable.
34 Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@×××.org> SCO must cease to exist!
35
36 <Espy> I invoke Espy's law, which states that you all suck :P