From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Uppercase characters in package names
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 18:10:59
1 On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 13:02:48 -0500
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The devmanual states:
5 >
6 > The name section should contain only lowercase non-accented letters,
7 > the digits 0-9, hyphens, underscores and plus characters. Uppercase
8 > characters are strongly discouraged, but technically valid.
9 >
10 > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html
13 > Why are uppercase characters strongly discouraged?
14 >
15 > Wouldn't it make sense to follow upstream's naming convention?
18 I think so.
19
20 In at least one of the pkgs I created, I used mixed case to prevent
21 conflicts with other existing projects that google, pypi, etc.
22 searching returned results for. But still have the name represent what
23 it did.
26 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>