From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: {bi,multi}arch support for all x86/amd64/ppc/sparc systems
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 02:13:59
Mike Frysinger posted on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 17:15:47 -0500 as excerpted:

> the advantage is that it should obsolete the separate kgcc64 package for > most people. and i think it might help out with the multilib bootstrap > issue: you can't build multilib gcc without a multilib glibc, and can't > build a multilib glibc without a multilib gcc, but i think you should be > able to build a multilib glibc with a multiarch gcc, and then a multilib > gcc after that.
1) Will this allow building grub from amd64/no-multilib, thus avoiding having to have grub-static? That's the one thing I don't like about no- multilib, having to use the pre-built grub-static. 2) What about grub-2, and while we're on it, is a switch to that expected any time soon, and/or is there a grub-static-2 in the wings? With the grub-1 gpt patches (and hopefully btrfs support at some point) I'm not sure that staying with grub-1 isn't my preference in any case, but I do worry how long that's going to be viable, especially with btrfs coming and no grub-1 btrfs support that I'm aware of, and I have literally /no/ idea what might or might not be in gentoo's pipeline, grub-wise. 3) One thing I very much like about no-multilib is the shorter gcc (and glibc) builds. This will kill that (for gcc), right? USE flag activated to avoid that for those who want to? (Of course I realize that it's unlikely I can keep/get both the shorter gcc builds and support for grub builds.) -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman