From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: {bi,multi}arch support for all x86/amd64/ppc/sparc systems
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 02:13:59
1 Mike Frysinger posted on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 17:15:47 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > the advantage is that it should obsolete the separate kgcc64 package for
4 > most people. and i think it might help out with the multilib bootstrap
5 > issue: you can't build multilib gcc without a multilib glibc, and can't
6 > build a multilib glibc without a multilib gcc, but i think you should be
7 > able to build a multilib glibc with a multiarch gcc, and then a multilib
8 > gcc after that.
9
10 1) Will this allow building grub from amd64/no-multilib, thus avoiding
11 having to have grub-static? That's the one thing I don't like about no-
12 multilib, having to use the pre-built grub-static.
13
14 2) What about grub-2, and while we're on it, is a switch to that expected
15 any time soon, and/or is there a grub-static-2 in the wings? With the
16 grub-1 gpt patches (and hopefully btrfs support at some point) I'm not
17 sure that staying with grub-1 isn't my preference in any case, but I do
18 worry how long that's going to be viable, especially with btrfs coming
19 and no grub-1 btrfs support that I'm aware of, and I have literally /no/
20 idea what might or might not be in gentoo's pipeline,
21 grub-wise.
22
23 3) One thing I very much like about no-multilib is the shorter gcc (and
24 glibc) builds. This will kill that (for gcc), right? USE flag activated
25 to avoid that for those who want to? (Of course I realize that it's
26 unlikely I can keep/get both the shorter gcc builds and support for grub
27 builds.)
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman