From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: per-package default USE flags
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:07:34
1 Hi Zac,
2
3 On 10/13/06, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 > I've written a patch for portage [1] that implements per-package default USE flags at
5 > both the ebuild and profile levels (discussed a couple of months ago [2] on this
6 > list). At the ebuild level, default flags are specified in IUSE with a + prefix as
7 > described in bug #61732 [3]. At the profile level, I've added support for
8 > package.use which behaves like /etc/portage/package.use that everyone is familiar
9 > with. The intention is that the IUSE defaults will be used for default flags that
10 > should be enabled regardless of profile. Then, package.use will be used for flags
11 > that might vary depending on the profile. For example, a server profile might enable
12 > server flags and a desktop profile might enable client flags.
13
14 :) This is excellent news, both for the PHP Herd (per-package USE
15 flags) and the Seeds project (per-profile USE flags).
16
17 > Should we include support in portage for one or both types of per-package default USE
18 > flags? If support is included for IUSE defaults now, we won't be able to use them in
19 > the tree until after a waiting period or an EAPI bump [4].
20
21 I can make good use of both, and would really love to see both supported.
22
23 Best regards,
24 Stu
25 --