From: "Bruno Prémont" <bonbons67@××××××××.lu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [SECURITY] Minimizing the suid usage
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 08:51:21
1 On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > Hello All,
3 >
4 > linux-2.6.24 supports file based capabilities via:
5 > CONFIG_SECURITY_FILE_CAPABILITIES
6 >
7 > This enables the use of filesystem attributes in order to store per
8 > executable capabilities list, more information at [1].
9 >
10 > This enables improved security level for people who don't wish to move
11 > into SELinux or similar.
12 >
13 > I think a new global USE flags (or use current caps) may enable
14 > ebuilds to set correct capabilities on files.
15 >
16 > On my system at least: ping, ping6, tcpdump, wireshark, samba, ntpd,
17 > rlogin, vmware may enjoy this and drop the root suid.
18 >
19 > In order to make it simple for everybody, a new eclass may be
20 > introduced to force dependency on >=libcap-2 and provide some atoms.
21 >
22 > This will provide more secured installation for users with a little
23 > effort, less usage of root user.
24 >
25 > What do you think?
26 >
27 > Alon.
28 >
29 > [1] http://www.friedhoff.org/fscaps.html
30
31 Has any progress happened since March for adding support for
32 FILE_CAPABILITIES?
33
34 Bruno