From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: jlec@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new eclass - pkgconfig.eclass
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 08:52:18
1 On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 08:52:01 +0100
2 justin <jlec@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The only remaining problem is on the implementation side. As you can
5 > imagine, this effort is nothing in which the upstreams are really
6 > interested in. Therefore most of our .pc files are created inside the
7 > ebuild. Eventually they will find their way back upstream, but currently
8 > this is something gentoo specific, it's about choices.
9 >
10 > The eclass should just be a reduction of redundant code. And of course
11 > its not meant to be a replacement to upstream work on packages with sane
12 > buildsystems. Its just a last resort for corner cases like our
13 > lapack/blas stuff, which do not have any reasonable option.
14 >
15 > I hope this clears my intention and makes it reasonable to have this eclass,
16
17 Nope, it doesn't. If the pkg-config file is created within an ebuild
18 (or eclass), it is *completely unsuitable* to go anywhere.
19
20 You should write a template, preferably 'mostly' compatible with
21 the build system and put it into FILESDIR. Even if it's going to be
22 redundant. This way, we have a simple, ready, clean, constant file
23 which can be sent upstream or copied by any other distro. It also makes
24 clear that the file is Gentoo-specific.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny