From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 02:24:24
1 On 07/04/2010 04:09 PM, Jory A. Pratt wrote:
2 > For those of you not on the #gentoo-dev channel, I just announced I am
3 > gonna be looking at the openrc code and fixing the bugs and working to
4 > continue the development. Anyone that is interested in helping please
5 > feel free to contact me off list to discuss how we will handle getting
6 > openrc back on track.
9 Well, openrc isn't any worse than baselayout-1 for upstream support.
10 However, I do agree that we should strongly try to standardize on
11 something that is more cross-platform if possible.
12
13 I'd rather not push to make openrc stable (which means lots of migration
14 for users), only to then move to something else anyway. Why have two
15 migrations when you can just have one?
16
17 If Gentoo just wants to own openrc and not use something else long-term,
18 then by all means let's get it done.
19 Rich