From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GPL-2 vs GPL-2+
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 09:22:57
1 On Wednesday 03 January 2007 22:54, Steve Long wrote:
2 > Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > I know that I'm a bit late on this, but to me the "version 2 or later" is
4 > > a license by itself. Let's call it GPL-RENEW and let the file have
5 > > contents like:
6 > > "This package is licensed with the version x or later clause for the
7 > > GPL."
8 > >
9 > > The LICENSE would then be:
10 > > LICENSE="GPL-2 GPL-RENEW"
11 > >
12 > > The advantage being that the renew clause is version independent, we
13 > > don't lose information, don't have to mutilate licenses (by adding text).
14 > > If desired it could even be used as LICENSE="|| (GPL-2 GPL-3) GPL-RENEW"
15 >
16 > That last bit's excessive IMO. It seems to add complexity- does it mean you
17 > can have either of the GPL2 or 3 plus any later from that version? Why not
18 > just cover that with your first example, which I like a lot- it spells out
19 > the later clause, and as you say, is version-independent.
20 >
21 > So GPL-3 GPL-RENEW could be specified, as well as simple GPL-2, or GPL-2
22 > GPL-RENEW. (Just spelling it out, sorry.)
23 >
24 > I'm thinking about your example and I can see how it covers a user who
25 > *wants* to use GPL-3 (eg for their own code) but I still think that comes
26 > under GPL-2 GPL-RENEW as it's clearly allowed.
27
28 My idea for the second way is basically to make the life of tools easier. It
29 would make explicit that someone accepting GPL-3, but not GPL-2 would be able
30 to accept a GPL-2 and later license.
31
32 Paul
35 Paul de Vrieze