From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: arfrever.fta@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Marking of deprecated USE flags
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 17:56:49
1 Dnia 2013-08-09, o godz. 18:40:39
2 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <arfrever.fta@×××××.com> napisał(a):
3
4 > Some people want that repoman print warnings for ebuilds, whose effective IUSE contains deprecated
5 > USE flags (e.g. USE flags corresponding to old versions of Python/Ruby). I suggest that deprecation
6 > of USE flags be specified by " (DEPRECATED)" suffix in descriptions of given flags in profiles/use.desc
7 > and profiles/desc/*.desc files.
8 >
9 > Any opinions about syntax?
10
11 Lowercase, please. Don't make this special magical keyword, let it
12 resemble something natural.
13
14 Also, please note that we're being specifically talking about things
15 that are not 'deprecated' but 'removed'. We mark implementations
16 'deprecated' while still supporting them, 'removed' goes after we drop
17 the support.
18
19 Most importantly, we don't want people to start removing 'deprecated'
20 impls from PYTHON_COMPAT randomly as that's only going to cause a lot
21 of mayhem by unsatisfied USE-deps. They can remove them after they're
22 'removed' as then eclass ignores them and there's no dep problem.
23 But we'll remove them ourselves since we have a script for that.
26 Best regards,
27 Michał Górny