From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: gwn-feedback@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Misquoted in the GWN
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:50:39
1 A friend of mine just alerted me to the fact, that I am featured in
2 this weeks Gentoo Weekly News. Odd, I thought, noone had asked me
3 anything regarding the GWN...
4
5 So I fired up a web browser and there it was - first section in the
6 GWN [1]. Seems the GWN authors have read my blog entry [2] and decided
7 to bring their own version of it to the public.
8
9 * The GWN talks about WiFi Protected Access (WPA). My Blog talks about
10 IEEE 802.11/wired authentication in general.
11
12 * The GWN talks about "my plans" for deprecating xsupplicant. My blog
13 doesn't say anything about this.
14
15 * The GWN talks about removing xsupplicant from Gentoo Portage. My
16 blog certainly doesn't say anything about this.
17
18 * The GWN doesn't even link to my blog entry, from which they must
19 have gotten the initial idea for this article, thus not allowing
20 their readers to see that the information provided is incorrect.
21
22 Now, why wasn't I contacted prior to quoting my blog in the GWN? A
23 simple "will this be ok?" kind of mail would have sufficed. I could
24 have pointed out the wrong assumptions in the article before it was
25 spread to thousands of users world wide, and instead we could have had
26 a concise article which reflected the truth.
27
28 Instead I now face the possibility of being flamed in my inbox for "my
29 plans to remove xsupplicant from Gentoo Portage". I've already been
30 approached twice on IRC about these "plans"...
31
32 I suggest that in the future, all developers who are directly quoted
33 in the GWN are contacted prior to posting the quotes. I realize that
34 this will put a bit more work load on the GWN authors, but it should
35 be as simple as sending a mail with the relevant section quoted for
36 the developer to accept.
37
38 Regards,
39 Brix
40
41 [1]: http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20051128-newsletter.xml
42 [2]: http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/brix/2005/11/25/wpa_supplicant_vs_xsupplicant
43 --
44 Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
45 Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd