From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: dependency graph
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 19:01:30
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 20:18:18 +0200
4 Nils Decker <nils@×××××××.de> wrote:
5 >
6 > I have written a small tool that creates a dependency graph to be
7 > rendered using graphviz.
10 Sincerely, I don't see any major utility to this tool, but the result
11 is really nice and fun... Just as the photo on your webpage,
12 which I really like ;)
13 If you really want some ideas of improvements, then what about
14 3-coloring your graph?
15 More seriously, you can try to highlight dependency cycles, but their
16 is probably no such thing between official ebuilds (but it may be
17 useful when developing a new ones).
18 And what about a "max-depth" option?
19 You could also emphaze a little bit more the ordering of the graph:
20 I think that your graphs are ordered bottom-up, but it's sometimes
21 quite hard to see (there are some nearly horizontal edges). You could
22 try to group nodes by horizontal layers, with the possibility for the
23 user to choose between the "as soon as possible" and "as late as
24 possible" orders.
25 And a last idea (the hardest one) would be an SVG output (you know,
26 the xml stuff for vector graphics); think of it on the gentoo.org
27 packages list: Ask the depency graph of a package, look at it carefully,
28 then wonder what is this "libfoo" your package depends on, and click on
29 the corresponding node to see the answer, etc.
30
31 That's all, keep up the good work.
32
33 -- Thomas.